Friday, December 16, 2022

What if a robot turns the whole world into paperclips?

In my novel, Most Famous Short Film of All Time, I mentioned Nick Bostrom and I definitely mentioned paperclips, but I did not know that Nick Bostrom has his own paperclip discussions. I completely missed that!

I learned it here today:

"Or a misaligned AI might (as in the famously absurd thought experiment of philosopher Nick Bostrom) turn the entire universe into paper clips because somebody told it to make paper clips and forgot to tell it that moderation in all things is best."
"The Earthling: Out-of-control AIs are here," Nonzero, December 16, 2022

Although I admit that this was not my intended association, I declare it to be a valid interpretation of my novel. Paperclips do (as is explicit in the novel) cause the character to see ghosts. They may also indicate that the world is slowly turning into Paperclip Mountain.

Also

"The old man looked me over. Then he picked up a paperclip and unbent it to scrape at a fingernail cuticle. His left index finger cuticle. When he'd finished with the cuticle, he discarded the straightened paperclip into the ashtray. If I ever get reincarnated, it occurred to me, let me make certain I don't come back as a paperclip."
— Haruki Murakami, Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World

Where upon I left the library and headed for the Baskin-Robbins.
She was still not back with the books by the time I returned, so I stood there at her desk with ice cream cone in hand. Two old men reading newspapers took turns stealing looks at this curious sight. Luckily the ice cream was frozen solid. Having it drip all over the place was the only thing that could have made me feel more foolish."
The paperback she'd been reading was facedown on the desk. Time Traveller, a biography of H. G. Wells, volume two. It was not a library book. Next to it were three well-sharpened pencils and some paperclips. Paperclips! Everywhere I went, paperclips! What was this?
Perhaps some fluctuation in the gravitational field had suddenly inundated the world with paperclips. Perhaps it was mere coincidence. I couldn't shake the feeling that things weren't normal. Was I being staked out by paperclips? They were everywhere I went, always just a glance away.
* * *
...what relationship could there be between skulls and paperclips?
* * *
Back at the apartment, I put away the groceries. I hung my clothes in the wardrobe. Then, on top of the TV, right next to the skull, I spread a handful of paperclips."
— Haruki Murakami, Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World

daisy in sunlight

No comments: